Animal Welfare is fundamental to the PFMA and we believe that the five welfare needs are essential to the well-being of any animal:
- the need for a suitable environment
- the need for a suitable diet
- the need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
- the need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
- the need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease
Pet nutrition is the expertise of PFMA members, however PFMA keeps abreast with broader animal welfare matters and actively participates in forums such as the Associate Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare & the Canine Feline Sector Group. Through our participation with these groups we are able to ensure our members are up to date with the latest issues and can input on discussions as relevant.
We recognise that education is an important aspect of animal welfare and PFMA helps communicate these welfare messages to a broader audience as a trustee of National Pet Month and through our support of the Animal Welfare Education Alliance.